Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Unemployment Benefits... No Problem


With the depressed economic situation we are currently in, there has been a lot of focus on unemployment rates. How many people are unemployed last month versus this month… What is the state of Texas’s unemployment rate versus another state. What are not so often talked about are the circumstances in which people qualify for unemployment.

When considering the benefits of paying unemployment I see the importance of helping people out that were laid off from work. These are hard times and people that have worked hard deserve help when hard times knock at their door. What I don’t agree with is how easily we qualify people to receive unemployment benefits. For instance, if an employer has a project they could use some extra help on, the solution would hopefully be to give someone a job. Unfortunately, this option is becoming less appealing to employers as hiring someone, even on a temporary basis, now entitles that person to unemployment benefits. So instead of spreading some of the money to people that are unemployed, employers might seek a different solution when extra help is needed. They may offer over time to employees they have currently working for them. One of the steps the Texas government could take in reducing unemployment would be to make it easier and more cost effective for employers to hire temporary employees.

Another downfall to the unemployment program is that people just have to look for a job to maintain their benefits. In my current position I have seen many people come through my office door asking for an application so that I can fill out a form that says they were “looking” for a job. The unfortunate thing I keep seeing is that these people don’t actually want a job. When asked if they would come in for an interview, they say no, they just want me to fill out the paperwork. So by making unemployment benefits so easily attainable and so easy to keep, we are reducing funds that could be helping the honest hard working person that actually hit a bit of bad luck in the job market. I believe our government should take a long hard look at the unemployment benefit structure and seriously consider revising it.

4 comments:

  1. I read Megan Fisher’s commentary Unemployment Benefits…NoProblem. I have to say that it kind of struck a nerve.

    I can understand her point of view, but I don't necessarily agree with it.

    She says that they shouldn't make it so easy to obtain and continue receiving unemployment, but how would she suggest to make it harder? How would she better the system? What would she change?

    I got fired. Unjustly, unfairly, and completely out of line. I was being harassed and mistreated by my supervisor. I am a young white woman and therefore do not qualify for protection against the harassment since it was not racially, gender, age, or religious based harassment. I was simply stuck with an awful boss who treated me different than all the other employees, in a very disheartening way. One day when I had had enough, I simply told my supervisor ,”I understand you are my supervisor, but I would appreciate it if you would quit treating me different than the other employees. I do my job and work hard and I don’t understand why you talk to me the way do.” Maybe I was out of line because she was my supervisor but I don’t think that people with power should be able to get away with saying or acting any way they want. I was fired the next day for "insubordination".

    I took the chance and applied for unemployment. After an extensive two part interview process, in which they contacted me and my employer, I qualified. I get 1/4 of what I use to make in a month and it runs out at the end of December. I only qualified for $3500. I apply to a crap load of jobs every week; in person, on line, through email. I use every tool available to me. I have been unemployed for 5 months and I am struggling financially. It's hard to find jobs especially when you have little to no experience in the workforce and don't have a college degree. There are so many people out there with degrees and experience that don’t have jobs, and because of that I am being looked over. Out of all the jobs I’ve applied for, I have had 3 interviews and no job offers. What more can I do to keep what little pay I am getting from the government? Should I write an essay about each experience? Go to a minimum of 2 interviews per week?

    I understand there are people out there who take advantage of the system which is why I understand where you are coming from, but to make it harder for them is to make it harder for people like me as well. You shouldn’t punish the class for the misdeeds of one student.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blog article “Unemployment Benefits…No Problem” aptly highlights the pros and cons of Texas’ unemployment benefits program. It is not hard for the average Texan to sympathize with those who are unemployed as we all tighten our purse strings to make ends meet. Most Texans would not begrudge a hardworking citizen a little help when times are hard. However, it is a disgrace and unfortunate when people take advantage of the system as the blog notes. According to the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC), people receiving unemployment benefits must actively searching for full-time work, apply for positions and accept suitable work. The question is how is this enforced? As the blog article notes, people can apply for jobs all they want and not accept a single one and how would the TWC know? What is particularly disturbing is people can qualify for unemployment benefits up to 76 weeks, which is almost 2 years! There are jobs out there. They may not be ideal but they exist. Fortunately, the TWC allows for people to qualify for unemployment benefits while employed to act as a safety net. However, one wonders how many elect to work and receive assistance versus not working at all. While there is no doubt some people need assistance during these difficult economic times, the question is what kind of accountability is the TWC enforcing?

    Having said all the above, I disagree with the blog article’s incitement for employers to hire people on a temporary basis. While I understand the motive, it helps no one in the end because it simply isn’t cost effective. The cost of employee turnover for someone earning $8/hr ranges from $3,500 to $25,000 annually per employee. Businesses’ goal is to make money and hiring someone temporarily is not cost effective. Furthermore, the success of businesses ensures the success and productivity of the national economy when taken as a whole. Therefore, hiring people temporarily could translate into further economic uncertainty and failure.

    What is Texas doing now that they weren’t doing 3-4 years ago, which is resulting in an unacceptable unemployment rate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://texastruth2011.blogspot.com/2011/12/response-to-unemployment-benefitsno.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. In a fellow classmate's blog post "Unemployment Benefit...No Problem," I couldn't help, but notice how the issue of unemployment was being introduced. I have seen both sides of the issue watching many of my own family members having to apply for benefits. The job world is very hard during this day and age. No one is doing that great in this economy, everyone is struggling. This fellow classmate takes into consideration about the situation, but jumps right into how so many people take advantage of the system. No matter what issue it may be dealing with the government whether it be unemployment or taxes, people take advantage of the system. However, just because some people take advantage of the system doesn't mean that others should have to be judged or suffered from other people's wrong doings. There will always be bad people that screw it up for other people there is nothing the government can do about unless they want to take away everything from everybody. Also even though I don't agree with everything that is being said, I do believe that some times the government seems to make it too easy for the wrong people to get benefits and for those that need them the most its difficult for them. So in order to find the happy medium the government needs to be able to distinguish between the ones working hard to find their way to a job and those sitting on their couch doing nothing.

    ReplyDelete